This lasagna recipe is easy, quick to make, great tasting and healthy. Using ground turkey, whole grain lasagna noodles and low fat cheeses, you
can make a fantastic tasting lasagna that is also healthy and fits with most diets. You can even use gluten-free or keto-friendly noodles. It
freezes very well!
Total time: 30 minutes prep, then 1 hour in the oven.
Cooks for about: 60 to 80 minutes
Yield: about 21 large servings
Easy to make!
1/2 pound dry lasagna noodles (requires 9 lasagna noodles - unbroken)
- 1 medium sweet onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs ground turkey, chopped Italian Sausage and/or ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (That's 1 tablespoon)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce size) cans of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 six-ounce can of tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, packed
- 3 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese or low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 pounds (32 ounces) low-fat, part skim mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) freshly grated 3, 4,5, or 6-cheese (you can get packets of shredded Italian cheeses at most grocery stores. They
typically have Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provolone, and/or Asiago cheeses, sometimes others, too.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, packed
- 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Oven pans:
Two that are 9" by 9"
- One that is 13" by 9" and one that is 9" by 9"
If you use the two smaller pans, each layer will be a bit thicker.
- Cutting board, knife
Step 1 - Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2 - Brown the ground turkey, chicken or beef
Put 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large non-stick pot. Heat over medium-high heat, and before the oil starts to smoke or burn, add the meat
Brown the meat until there is no pink remaining. This will take about 10 minutes. While it is browning, dice the
onions and stir the meat about every minute.
Step 3 - Get your oven pan ready
3 lbs of ground meat wil1 make about 1 and a half large oven dishes; in other words, one that is 13" by 9 and another that is 9" by 9". ". Or two
9" by 9" pans completely filled.